Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Creative Balance...


Sigh....finally settling in after being gone since Thursday. Every so often I am blessed with the chance to serve on a spiritual 'retreat' like no other, The Walk to Emmaus. This weekend one of my dearest friend's had the chance to experience it, so I decided to go and serve on a background team. It was exhausting and rewarding. Today I spent relaxing and regrouping from this weekend. As I did this I had a thought...and a question to pose to my readers... what is your crafting balance? How much of your time to you dedicate to your own creative nourishment versus the 'reality' of life?  Do you have a certain time of day that you set aside for creative activity and inspiration? I know a lot of us are guilty of logging into Pinterest for 'just 5 minutes' to look something up and in the blink of an eye two hours have passed. Time is precious these days, and so is how we spend our time. As a blogger and house frau (home maker) with no kids you'd think I have all the time in the world. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It's my priorities that shape my day. For me my priorities consist of my self care, husband, my friends and family, my furbabies,  my spiritual and creative nourishment, and then my home. Ok ladies... don't get all bent out of shape about putting myself first. We all have to do that, self care is important. If we're not 100% we can't take care of everything else we need to take care of. Many of us, myself included, are guilty of taking care of everyone else, pushing ourselves to the brink, and then wondering what happened when we wake up feeling like we got hit by a bus.... Balance. It all comes down to balance. We all have our priorities, but it's how we balance them that makes it or breaks it for us.

 For me,  I must have some sort of creativity in my life. It's my therapy. All my life I have been creative in some sort of way. When I was a little girl I loved to write and create plays and 'recruit' my fellow  playmates to act them out for an audience of stuffed animals and dolls. As I grew older I found writing short stories and poetry to be very therapeutic. It was my outlet for my somewhat chaotic home life. 

inside...
I am screaming 
but not a word passes my lips
my silence but a prayer
passing towards
god’s ear... like a hurricane
a cyclone...
winds and water and chaos...
all inside...
inside I am afraid
outside I am angry
inside i am terrified
outside i hide
inside my head an uncontested war rages...
dark and ugly is what they say
weary and sad is what i see...
i yearn to be numb... yet excess has left me without defense...
i yearn for contentment... 
is that but a prayer fallen deaf
on the ears of god?
i believe i believe i believe... 
does he hear, does he see my fragile being?
even in questioning i doubt...
the grace unseen,
that envelopes my soul and embraces me...
yet i still struggle within that grasp... why?
inside is still bouncing about... 
dear lord... please silence it...hush me
inside is still filling my heart with lies and 
burdening my soul with worry...
as my prayer leaves my mind and heart and soul
and through the amplifier of words... 
god smiles down... and presses the save key once again...

-kimberly rae cole
 2/9/2009 

Aside from writing I explored other creative outlets; dance, painting, figure skating, singing... then in 2003 David brought me a copy of Creating Keepsakes Magazine and I instantly fell in love with the world of papercrafting... I once again found an outlet. My creative balance.



Whatever your creative outlet is there must be balance. Life can be harsh and demanding,  yet our creative time and nourishment can inspire and help us through tough times. It has been my lifesaver, literally. So no matter what your day is like, find time.... create. Create, and be gentle with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment