Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Scrapbook Message Boards.... are they fun anymore or just sorority hazing in disguise...?

I've been paper crafting for the past thirteen years. Thirteen years ago the paper crafting message boards were a new thing, and everyone was so warm and inviting. I met one of my dearest friends on the first board I joined. Then came the competition, and the drama, and the passive aggressive bitchy-ness that is found in PMS and high school cliques. I have been part of a message board on Scrapbook.com for over ten years now, loved it there. Due to my health and lack of crafting mojo I took a break from the boards. Upon my return I've had nothing but an ice cold reception, and another full of rules and regulations. I thought the message boards were supposed to be fun? We're all on the same side here. We love our craft. However I have found that politics, religious affiliation (apparently I'm not supposed to post a scrapbook page of my gay friend's wedding on a thread I was a member of), and just plain pettiness has become the rule of thumb. Am I just trying to insert myself in the wrong groups or threads? Or message boards? I joined these boards to meet new people and to share my work, maybe some tips of my own. I've made some amazing friends along the way, but lately my reception at a certain website has left me cold. If it weren't for the cool merchandise I would delete them from my favorites. What the heck???

No comments:

Post a Comment