Altered Whimseys on Social Media



Thursday, April 30, 2015

National Scrapbook Day....

Tomorrow night around the world, scrapbookers and paper crafters will be tidying up their craft tables and creative spaces in preparation for National Scrapbook Day. This day was created by a now non-existent Creating Keepsakes Magazine. The magazine is gone, but the legend lives on.

I started scrapbooking and papercrafting in earnest in 2003, I was recovering after surgery and sent my husband out to find me a magazine. He came home with, you guessed it, Creating Keepsakes. I had just received a box full of photographs from my grandmother in FL and he thought this might be the thing. Boy, he had NO IDEA what he was getting himself into. When I first started scrapbooking I found friends on Memory Making Divas.....then SB.com. Then I discovered the local scrapbook store and learned about a fun night out... a crop. I was a bit intimidated at first, I hate being the 'noob'. The women I met there that night, Sonda and Barb, I am still friends with to this day. As for the women I met on SB.com, the ladies of the Virtual Crop Weekend soon became part of my family. Over the years I have worked at two local scrapbook stores, one as an associate, the other as an instructor and design team member. I have even started a scrapbooking ministry, FaithFull Scrappers. 

Unfortunately, as the economy crashed the local scrapbook stores went under, then the as the popularity of scrapbooking faded, many of the scrapbook magazines that made up much of the real estate in my craft room disappeared. It's been over seven years since I've been to a crop, a real life one where I had to pack up all my stuff and go. As the years progressed while I scrapped, technology changed, social media went from the bane existence of MySpace to share your work to the numerous outlets of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and lest we not forget the highly addictive Pinterest. The message boards have evolved and now we have virtual crops via Skype.

Tomorrow night women around the world will either meet up in person or via computer to scrapbook. Papercrafting websites and their message boards will be abuzz with NSD parties and challenges. It is a fun escape of creativity with women from many cultures and lifestyles.... some are mothers, some are grandmothers, some are moms and some are not, there are even men that scrapbook, although I have not yet come across one on a message board. I think the amount of estrogen saturation on these boards may be a bit intimidating for some men. Those are the men who sit outside of M's in their car while you go lighten your pockets on stacks of paper and blingy things... 

Well, it's after one in the morning and I need to get some sleep. G'night all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment